College of Liberal Arts & Sciences/School of the Arts Exceptions request form
This form is intended for major, minor, and certificate substitutions in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and the School of the Arts. If you are needing to submit an exception for a program housed in one of the professional schools, you will need to follow that school’s submission process.
What this form is NOT for:
- DPR errors. If you find an issue that is a true DPR error (i.e. the DPR does not match the catalog for that requirement term), please submit via the DPR error button on the long form DPR.
- Re-Evaluation of Transfer Work. Transfer credit appeals can be submitted here.
- University-level requirements. For example, the 120 total hours requirement, the 45 JR/SR hours requirement, KU residency requirement, and KU cumulative GPA. These requirements must be petitioned via a FacEx petition.
- KU Core exceptions. To request an exception to the KU Core, students must submit a petition to the KU Core committee.
- KU Core scenario issues. If the DPR is not utilizing courses in the KU Core in an optimal way, please submit your observations via the DPR error report button on the DPR.
- BA or BGS degree-specific exceptions. Exceptions to BA or BGS degree-specific requirements must be petitioned using the College Degree Requirement petition form.
- College-level program requirements. A request for anything less than the College minimum must be petitioned via the College Degree Requirement petition form. The College requires the following minimums:
- 24 major hours
- 12 major JR/SR hours
- 15 major hours in residence
- 2.0 major KU JR/SR GPA
- 18 minor hours
- 12 minor JR/SR hours
- 9 minor JR/SR hours in residence
- 2.0 minor KU GPA
- 12 certificate hours
- 6 JR/SR hours
- No more than one course may be a transfer course
- No more than one course may be from a professional school
- 2.0 KU certificate GPA
- Exceptions to the Liberal Arts and Sciences BGS. Exceptions to Liberal Arts and Sciences BGS requirements must be petitioned using the College Degree Requirement petition form.
- Exceptions that involve a course in which a student is not yet enrolled or is not showing on the student’s record. Students must be currently enrolled in or have already completed the course that is being substituted. Transfer courses must be posted to the student’s KU record.
- Student submissions. This form is to be completed and submitted by advisors only.
What this form IS for:
- Approved substitutions within a College major, minor, or certificate. Substitution must be approved by the Undergraduate Coordinator for the department in which the program is housed.
- Approved waivers within a College major, minor, or certificate. Note: Waivers should be extremely rare. A waiver must be approved by the Undergraduate Coordinator for the department in which the program is housed. You must also include a brief explanation as to how the spirit of the requirement has been fulfilled without coursework. If it is possible to substitute a course into the requirement, then submit it as a substitution.
- Approved exceptions to a Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)degree-specific requirement. Exception must be approved by the Undergraduate Coordinator for the department in which the program is housed. Again, waivers should be rare.
- Exceptions to major hours or minor hours requirements that do not result in dropping below the College minimums. See above for the minimum College requirements within a given program.
Please note: Substitutions are intended to resolve short-term individual completion issues. If you notice that a department for which you advise is submitting the same substitution on a regular basis, please encourage that department to submit an update to their curriculum in the catalog. For any questions regarding curriculum updates, please contact Karen Ledom and Rachel Decorie.