Declaring a College Major
As a student in the College, you have the opportunity to explore countless topics. We encourage you to take classes in as many different subject areas as you can to help you decide your major. If you’re unsure of what classes to take, an advisor can help you decide what classes might be best for you. If you have not decided on a major yet, please utilize Jayhawk Academic Advising for exploratory advising information.
Congratulations! You’ve decided on a major. Most of the programs in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences do not have any requirements for declaring a major, however, we strongly encourage you to meet with an advisor in your desired area of study and create a plan to graduate. During an advising appointment, your advisor can also help you update your academic record to reflect your area of study.
You are also welcome to stop by 109 Strong Hall in person or email email@example.com from your KU email address and request to declare your major (be sure to include your ID and the major you want added and/or removed). You may also email your academic advisor.
How do I Enroll?
- On or after the updating of the Schedule of Classes, browse options being offered for the next semester. This usually happens in March (for Summer and Fall) and September (for Spring).
- Ensure you don't have any enrollment holds preventing you from enrolling. You check Enroll & Pay>Holds & To Dos to see if you have holds and below on how to remove common holds.
- Find your enrollment time in Enroll & Pay>Manage Classes>Enrollment Time or check your email from the Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Use Schedule Builder (also under Manage Classes) to create a tentative schedule.
- Optional- Send schedule to your advisor, using the share button, to look over and give feedback.
- Send schedule to shopping cart.
- Before your enrollment time, check the Schedule of Classes to make sure nothing has changed or sections aren’t full.
- Adjust shopping cart as needed.
- At your enrollment time, go to your shopping cart and click through to officially enroll (this will NOT work unless it’s your enrollment time).
- You should see all green check marks and "This course has been added to your schedule". If you do not, read the error message and fix the course that isn’t working.
- Optional- Send an email to your advisor saying you enrolled and we will double check your schedule for you!